It looks like all the infrastructure is up and running for the UNHCR World Refugee Day event tomorrow at the National Geographic Grosvenor Auditorium and online on Saturday. In order to provide a two-way video link from the officials and celebrities in the US and the refugees in Chad, and to stream the conversation over the Internet, a team of volunteers has been setting up and testing the equipment all this week.
From the source in Africa to the destination on millions of PCs, the chain looks lke this:
- A webcam and the VSee client on a portable PC – alternately an Asus Eee PC 1000HE netbook or a Motion Computing J3400 tablet PC.
- A wired or WiFi link to the Satellite terminal.
- A Hughes 9201 BGAN Inmarsat Terminal
- The Inmarsat BGAN satellite data service
- Telestream Wirecast to switch the live video stream
- Livestream to send the video out over the Internet to viewers of the web site.